Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Way Our Kids Will See Tech

One generation always seems to lament the direction of the next.

Those damn kids and their telegraph.
This is the way we age. We see the world slip away from our influence and call the next generation 'self-entitled.'

I bet he printed this himself
I think about this as it relates to my daughter. Mostly I'm excited fr her. I grew up in a time when tech adoption was on the rise. People had computers, not everybody, but it wasn't unheard of. Some people even had the internet. I remember the excitement when my Dad got cable internet. Being one of the lucky few with 'Roadrunner.' Playing 'Warcraft,' Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.

I remember the first time orcs invaded.
You won't see any naked female trolls dancing on mailboxes in this world.

I saw the rise and fall of Napster, the rise of the iPod, the ubiquity of the cell phone. I'm really excited for what my daughter will see in her lifetime. I grew up less information saturated than my daughter will. I used encyclopedias in grade school. My daughter will grow up with an entire world's worth of information at her fingertips. Obviously, how it will affect this generation will depend a ot on how they're taught to treat it.  I fully expect to not understand her thought process.

hurr durr derp face - HURRRR
see more Durr

Yep, that's me.

With the rise of tablet computing on the horizon, all this information will literally be at her fingertips. That combined with coming advances in biotechnology make for a very exciting future.

If we can cram a hard drive into sad Keanu's head,
imagine what we could do with someone happy.
All in all the future is looking pretty exciting. When I get old, I'll try and keep my mouth shut about how the next generation is screwing everything up.

Edit: Thanks to Jeremy for the updated Warcraft image.

No comments:

Post a Comment