Wednesday, October 13, 2010

30 Year Old Cotton Candy



So seeing Michael J. Fox in a DeLorean makes me want a cure for Parkinson's worse than anything else I've ever seen before.

"Back to the Future" has caused that car to be added to my "list of things to buy if I ever get rich." That's right, I've got one of those in my back pocket, just in case I win the lottery or invent something amazing or rob a bank and flee to Mexico...

Ha! Just kidding. Who'd flee to Mexico in this political climate?

While I'd love to see a new "Back to the Future" flick, we know that Michael J. Fox just can't do it. It's not his fault or anything, but it's pretty obvious that it's not gonna happen. At least not with a Fox McFly. Maybe we could see his son doing something with a Fox Cameo. Who knows? It could happen.

I think that my recent resurgence of 80's movie love has a lot to do with the fact that I watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" with my wife the other day. Yeah, it wasn't like an epic movie or anything, but this flick was loaded to the hilt with 80's themes and John Cusack. John Cusack produced the movie, and even seemed to be responsible for a nice little reference on the front end of the movie: "I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS."

I'm not saying I need a bunch of 80's movie remakes or sequels. I really don't want to see the brat pack in 3D.

I've always been a big fan of 80's flicks, even though they were a little before my time. I'm having this huge upsurge of what I'm gonna call fauxstalgia. That's right, not nostalgia, fauxstalgia. (Blogger keeps telling me I'm spelling it wrong, well fuck you Blogger, I can spell my own words however the hell I want. Edit: found it on Urban Dictionary after I 'made it up'. LAME)

Still though, I guess you could say I technically experienced the 80's, but my memories really start around the early 90's.

This presents me with a bit of a quandary. I love 80's movies, but I suppose you could say my 80's 'cred' is lacking.

Is that any worse though, than liking a certain type of art? It's not a big deal if somebody says "I like early-renaissance art." (Well it is in some circles, but let's assume we have an open-minded crowd here.)

I'm not saying that 80's flicks are by their very nature better than movies from other decades, far from it. In fact, I consider those 80's movies that I enjoy so much to be cotton candy flicks. There's really not much there, but they melt really easily in your mouth and just taste like sugar.

Look, I don't know how we got here, but thanks Michael J. Fox, for your years of service.

1 comment:

  1. nice video although you can definitely tell he is not up for another trip to the future

    ReplyDelete